Application for support to undertake research training during the doctoral research in overseas countries on a competitive mode is sought from eligible researchers.
- To build national capacity in frontier areas of Science and Engineering, which are of interest to India by providing research training to PhD students admitted in the Indian institutions in overseas universities / institutions of repute.
- To provide opportunity to performing Indian research students to gain exposure and access to top class research facilities in academia and labs across the world.
- To create opportunities to build long-term R&D linkages and collaborations with accomplished scientists and technologists from around the world.
- To tap the expertise gained by these young scientists to strengthen/initiate national programmes in their domain knowledge.
APPLICATION & SELECTION:
- The scheme is open to Indian nationals only.
- The applicant should have registered for full-time Ph.D. Degree in any of the recognized Institutions / Universities in India in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (including Medicine, Pharma, Agriculture and related S&T areas) disciplines.
- Should have received an offer letter from a reputed overseas institution to carry out research for a specified duration. The host supervisor should provide an official confirmation that they will host the student detailing the period of stay and other requirements.
- Part-time and sponsored students are not considered under the Program. Also students who have submitted their thesis for award of the Degree of Ph.D. are not eligible to apply.
Applications are invited from Ph.D. students in two modes-
- Indian Ph.D. supervisors who had made research collaboration with foreign counterparts in their individual capacity .
- Indian/Overseas Institutions who had signed an Agreement / MoU with SERB for student mobility.
Applications will be sought twice a year. The selection would be made among students who obtained an offer letter from overseas institution to carry out research in chosen areas of interest to India.
The applicants belonging to mode (i) above should apply directly to SERB through www.serbonline.in . In case of mode (ii) the application / recommendation should reach SERB through the Institute / University concerned.
Students intend to undertake research visit to the following Universities to whom SERB had signed MoU should apply directly to the University:
Fellowship and Other Component:-
- Purdue University, West Lafayette, USA
Contact Person: Mrs. Heidi Arola (email@example.com), Managing Director for Global Partnerships.
More Details available at: http://www.purdue.edu/india/
- University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Contact Person: Mr. Dan Fredrick (firstname.lastname@example.org), Manager, Sponsored Student Program
More Details available at: https://www.ualberta.ca/graduate-studies/prospective-students/apply-for-admission/visiting-exchange-applications
The selected fellows will be paid a monthly fellowship amount equivalent to US $ 2000, one-time Contingency / Preparatory allowances of Rs. 60,000/- to cover visa fee, airport transfer charges, medical insurance etc. The selected fellows will also be provided shortest route economy class air fare from their place of work in India to the place of the host institute and back. One additional to and fro travel cost would also be provided to the fellow, if the period of stay is one year or more. Students should make their own arrangement for accommodation etc.
While formulating the proposal, the host overseas scientist should clearly mention the level of fees that their Institute charge for undertaking the research training of the student. If necessary, a nominal grant is provided as Bench fee / tuition fee / consumable cost / overhead charge to the overseas host institution.
One visit, each by the Indian supervisor to the Overseas Institution where the student is working and overseas faculty to the host Indian Institution of the student during the tenure of the fellowship is also admissible under the Scheme. The following provisions are made for them to undertake research visits:
- Travel: Both the Indian supervisor and overseas scientist will be provided shortest route round-trip economy class air fare not exceeding Rs. 1.5 lakh per round trip from their place of work to the city of host institute and back. Any additional cost would have to be borne by the visitors.
- Per-diem (Subsistence Allowance):
|Indian supervisors to Overseas Country
||Overseas host to India
||Up-to 14 days
||>14 and up-to 30 days
|US $ 75 per day up-to 30 days||Rs. 3000/- per day||Rs. 2000/- per day
|Indian supervisors to Overseas Country
||Overseas host to India
|Up-to 14 days||>14 and up-to 30 days||Up-to 14 days||>14 and up-to 30 days
|US $ 150 per day||US $ 100 per day||Rs. 4500/- per day||Rs. 3000/- per day
- Contingencies and related travel cost: Allowance of US $ 250 per visit is provided to both Indian Supervisor and Overseas host to cover the expenditure incurred towards visa fees, travel / medical insurance, airport transfers and other contingencies
- The application for consideration under the Overseas Visiting Doctoral Fellowship Program (OVDF) can be submitted only when the call for application is made.
- The duration of the research training is up-to a period of twelve months. The fellowship may be extended for six more months subject to performance evaluation. Application for such extension should reach SERB Office well in advance accompanied by reports from Indian supervisor and the host justifying the extension of the fellowship. No extension is possible beyond 18 months. Fellowship for less than six months will not be entertained. However, in exceptional cases fellowship for shorter periods may also be considered.
- For scientists / researchers in regular employment, rules governing payment of salary, leave, medical, gratuity, GPF and pension etc. of the organization/ institution/ university to which the fellow belongs would continue to be applicable. No liability on any of these accounts will be borne by SERB.
- The selected fellows while taking up the SERB overseas fellowship should not draw their regular research fellowship in India.
- The candidates selected for the award of the fellowship should commence their research in the overseas institution within three months from the date of the offer letter, and if not, the offer will be automatically stands withdrawn and no correspondence will be entertained thereafter.
- The exchange visit of the supervisors should be during the tenure of the Ph.D. work of the applicant. Both the supervisors should ensure a residency period of at least two weeks and not exceeding one month in their respective foreign institutes.
- Application from researcher should be forwarded through the head of organization/ department where the applicant is enrolled for Ph.D. along with recommendation of the Indian supervisor.
- The candidate should also submit a letter of approval of research plan from the overseas host. The same should be endorsed by the Indian Supervisor.
- Copy of acceptance letter from host institution should be sent along with the application.
- The Indian Institution should ensure the availability of necessary facilities including scientific equipment, infrastructure, manpower, etc. for facilitating the visit of overseas scientist for undertaking the collaborative research. The institution should also extend all necessary administrative support to the proposed work.
- Please make sure to quote the registration number/ letter number (given by SERB) in all your future communications.
- The information should be given under each section, even if it is Nil.
- The OVDF application is received only through online mode. Once the online submission is made, the candidates may take printouts of the application and submit one copy of the application (including all uploaded documents) printed on both the sides of A4 size paper to the Program Coordinator in the following address.
The contact details of Programme Officers are given below:
How to apply online:
Programme Coordinator, Overseas VDF,
Science and Engineering Research Board
5 & 5A, Lower Ground Floor,
Vasant Square Mall,
Sector-B, Pocket-5, Vasant Kunj
Email : email@example.com
Phone : 011-26590324
For successful online submission of the application the following points may be noted:
Documents required :
- Applicants should first register into the online website click here to register
- After log-in, applicants are required to fill all the mandatory fields in Profile Detail section under User Profile. which includes Bio-data, Photo, Institute Address etc.
- Details including Project Title (max 500 characters),
Project summary (max 3000 characters), Keywords (max 6), Objectives of project (max 1500 characters), Outcome of
the proposal (max 1500 characters) should be provided online at the time of submission of the application.
- Work Methodology and Research plan has to be uploaded in single PDF file not more than 4 pages (max 10 MB).
- Copy of the Ph.D. registration certificate
- Bio-data of the Indian Supervisor
( Including Academic & Research Qualifications, Publications list , Patent list, Details of research projects being implemented/ completed/ submitted, if any)
- Bio-data of Overseas Host Scientist
(Including Academic & Research Qualifications, Publications list , Patent list, Details of research projects being implemented/ completed/ submitted, if any)
- Certificate from the applicant Download Template
- Endorsement letter from the head of the Indian institutionDownload Template
- Letter of acceptance of research plan by the Host Scientist and Indian Supervisor
- Letter of acceptance from Overseas Host Institution
- Recommendation letter from the Indian supervisor along with undertaking Download Template