The SERB-National Post Doctoral Fellowship (N-PDF) is aimed to identify motivated young researchers and provide them support for doing research in frontier areas of science and engineering. The fellows will work under a mentor, and it is hoped that this training will provide them a platform to develop as an independent researcher.
Nature & Duration of Support:
- The applicant should be an Indian citizen
- The applicant must have obtained Ph.D/M.D/M.S degree from a recognized University. Those who have submitted their PhD/M.D/M.S thesis and are awaiting award of the degree are also eligible to apply. However, such candidates, if selected, will be offered lower fellowship amount till they qualify the eligible degree
- The upper age limit for the fellowship is 35 years at the time of the submission of application. Age relaxation of 5 (five) years will be given to candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC/Physically Challenged & Women candidates
- Mentor must hold a regular academic/research position in a recognized institution in India.
Selection & Mode Of Application
- The fellowship is tenable only in India and can be implemented in any of the recognized academic institutions, national laboratories and other recognized R & D institutions. The host institution should provide necessary administrative and infrastructural support
- The fellows will not be allowed to work with the Ph.D. guide/co-guide. It is also normally not availed at the same Department / institution where the candidates have earned their PhD/M.S/M.D degree.
- The fellowship is purely a temporary assignment, and is tenable initially for a period of 2 years. In exceptional cases, depending on the progress of research, the fellowship can be extended for one more year. There is no provision to extend the tenure beyond three years.
- The fellows will be entitled to receive the grants as given below:
||Rs. 55,000/- per month (consolidated) and
Rs. 35,000/ p.m for candidates who have submitted the thesis but degree not awarded
||Rs. 2,00,000/- per annum
||Rs. 1,00,000/- per annum
- Research grant can be used for minor equipment, consumables, contingencies and domestic travel. There is no provision for providing manpower support under this scheme. The Fellow is expected to undertake the research objectives by himself/herself during the entire duration of the fellowship.
- The fellows are not eligible to receive any other fellowship from any Government or Non-Governmental source during the tenure of the fellowship.
- The fellows must seek the consent of SERB if he/she intends to be away from the implementing institute (except for field work related to the project) continuously for a period more than eight weeks.
How to apply online:
- The call for applications for SERB-N PDF will be notified twice a year(April and October) through the website www.serbonline.in and www.serb.gov.in
- The application form along with a research proposal highlighting the objectives of the research work to be undertaken should be submitted online through the website www.serbonline.in
- The applicant must identify a suitable Mentor under whom the proposed research would be carried out.
- The selection will be based on the recommendations of an Expert Committee that will be constituted by the Board. If required, the applicants may be called for personal interview.
For successful online submission of the application the following points may be noted:
Documents required (in PDF) should be in prescribed format:
- Applicants should first register into the online website click here to register
- After log-in, applicants are required to fill all the mandatory fields in Profile Detail section under User Profile. which includes Bio-data, Photo, Institute Address etc.
- Details including Project Title (max 500 characters),
Project summary (max 3000 characters), Keywords (max 6), Objectives of project (max 1500 characters), Expected output and outcome of
the proposal (max 1500 characters) should be provided online at the time of submission of the application.
- Work Methodology and Research plan has to be uploaded in single PDF file not more than 3 pages (max 10 MB).
- For details one may visit http://serbonline.in/SERB/npdf
Evaluation & Extension:
- Bio-data (under user profile section) Download Template
- Age Proof Certificate
- Qualification Certificate
- Category Certificate (in case of Age Relaxation)
- Undertaking Certificate by the applicant Download Template
- Endorsement Certificate from the Mentor & Host Institute Download Template
- Short CV of the mentor (see online portal for its format)
- CV of Mentor Download Template
A five (5) Members independent Assessment Committee needs to be constituted by the Head of Host institute to assess the progress of the NPDF after the completion of 18 months. Assessment committee should include the (i) Mentor, (ii) two senior faculty from the host institute and (iii) one external subject expert duly nominated by the head of the institute and(iv) the head of the department / division will be the chair of the Assessment Committee. Recommendation of the Assessment Committee should be forwarded to SERB through head of the institute at least three months before the completion of the 2-year period for consideration of extension.
Termination of the Fellowship
- If any fellow wishes to terminate the fellowship, he/she shall inform the SERB through the mentor and host institute immediately. The implementing institute should not incur any expenditure from the date of termination of the project or the date of resignation of PI. The institute will also arrange for submission of documents mentioned above.
- SERB reserves the right to terminate the Fellowship at any stage if it is convinced that appropriate progress is not being made or the grant has not been utilized properly.
SERB PDFs are entitled to leave as per rules of the host institution. Participation in scientific workshops held in India or abroad will be treated as on duty. Maternity leave as per the Govt. of India instructions issued from time to time would be available to female candidates in all categories.